The Best Practices in Publishing program provides opportunities to discuss research and publishing-related issues with graduate students from across the university. Over seven sessions in the fall, a range of topics will be introduced and discussed with campus experts, including experienced faculty.
The program will be limited to 40 students. Sessions will be Tuesdays, 5:15-6:45 p.m., in the John C. Hodges Library. The workshop schedule (subject to change of topics each week) is:
- Sept. 4 — Orientation
- Sept. 11 — Publishing: Setting the Stage. Faculty panelists discuss publishing experiences and share advice.
- Sept. 18 — Publication/Authorship Decisions. Speakers: Rachel Caldwell, Associate Professor and Scholarly Communication Librarian, UT Libraries; Dr. Dan Roberts, Professor and Department Head, Biochemistry & Cellular and Molecular Biology. Join us for pizza and a social hour after class!
- Sept 25 — Plagiarism, Research Misconduct, and Other Ethical Considerations. Speakers: Betsy Smith, Director, Office of Student Conduct & Community Standards; Lela Young, Associate General Counsel.
- Oct. 2 — Copyright and Ownership. Speakers: Rachel Caldwell, Associate Professor and Scholarly Communication Librarian, UT Libraries; Frank Lancaster, Associate General Counsel.
- Oct. 9 — Citation Management
- Oct. 16 — Final Meeting & Award of Certificates
Participants will be required to attend and submit reflections and critiques of each session. In addition, participants will be required to participate in discussions and question-and-answer sessions. You must attend all sessions to receive the certificate. An anonymous submission form will allow participants to submit questions of a sensitive nature ahead of time so speakers will be able to discuss real concerns.
Upon successful completion of the program, you will receive a certificate acknowledging your participation in the program; this certificate should be a welcome addition to the dossier that you will need in applying for faculty positions and/or for retention/promotion.
The Best Practices in Publishing series is co-sponsored by the Graduate School and the UT Libraries.
Registration opens Monday, August 20. The link to register is here: https://goo.gl/forms/gpSvSyZdMO1CMofl2. (The link will not be live until 8/20.)
Recent NewsMore News
- Springer Publishing E-Journals on SpringerConnect - Access Issues Resolved - 10 February 2021
- Wiley Online Library access has been restored - 4 Feb 2021
- Wiley Online Library is down - 3 Feb. 2021
- Springer Publishing E-Journals on SpringerConnect - Access Issues- 4 Feb. 2021
- Thesaurus Linguae Latinae (TLL) Online - downtime between February 1 and February 15, 2021.
- Elsevier access issues resolved -- 29 January 2021
- ScienceDirect, Scopus, and other Elsevier products- are experiencing technical issues
- How to Library: Spring 2021