The University of Tennessee Libraries invites you to a humorous evening with Knoxville News Sentinel editorial cartoonist Charlie Daniel. Join us Thursday, October 25, at 6:30 p.m. in the John C. Hodges Library auditorium. Reception begins at 6 p.m.
In 2011, Charlie Daniel donated his entire life’s work of hand-drawn, original cartoons to the UT Libraries. The Libraries selected more than 1,500 cartoons from that body of work to create the Charlie Daniel Editorial Cartoon Collection, which is viewable online at digital.lib.utk.edu/charliedaniel.
Daniel, a Virginia native, came to Knoxville in 1958 as the editorial cartoonist for the Knoxville Journal. When the paper closed in 1992, Daniel moved to the Knoxville News Sentinel, where he continues his work to this day. Daniel’s work is a rich source for those studying politics and regional history. These editorial cartoons express opinions on public and social issues of the moment and can touch upon a wide range of topics that affect our daily lives. Daniel’s cartoons can make you laugh and even sometimes cringe. But more than anything else, they make you think.
The UT Libraries invites you to join us in honoring Charlie Daniel and celebrating the Charlie Daniel Editorial Cartoon Collection.
Limited event parking is available in the staff parking lot at the west entrance to Hodges Library. From Cumberland Avenue, turn south onto Melrose Place. Melrose Place circles in front of Hess Hall and the Hodges Library. You may drop off members of your party at the Melrose Place entrance to Hodges Library. For more information, phone 974-4634.
Recent NewsMore News
- Tell Us How We’re Doing: Take the Library’s Survey
- Rising from the Ashes: Artists Panel Discussion, February 10
- Save the Date: The 2022 Wilma Dykeman Stokely Memorial Lecture - March 3
- Civil War Book of the Year: “Port Hudson” from UT Press
- New Digital Collections Recently Unveiled
- Destress for Success at UT Libraries
- Oral History Project Recalls Chimney Tops 2 Wildfires
- Chimney Tops 2 Wildfires: Oral Histories Soon to be Published Online