I am pleased to announce that David Atkins, currently Head of Branch Libraries and Collection Logistics at the UT Libraries, has been appointed as the next Dean of Libraries at East Tennessee State University. He will assume this role in January.
David has been a UT library faculty member for over 20 years. He formerly headed the UT Libraries’ unit for Resource Sharing and Document Delivery, as well as Access and Delivery Services. He recently led the project to renovate the public and staff areas in the Pendergrass Library, the first ever substantial renovation of that space. He has served on the UT Faculty Senate and done yeoman’s service on many library advisory groups.
David has led the way in storage and stacks management, including taking the lead on cooperative collection management initiatives such as UT’s participation in HathiTrust’s Shared Print Program. More recently, he has headed the project to describe, design, and help justify the need for an off-campus storage facility, which is now in the early stages of design at the campus level. David has been a leader on resource-sharing issues at the state and national levels as well. In 2012, Tenn-Share presented him with the Tennessee Resource Sharing Award for his leadership in establishing the library courier system that connects public and academic libraries across the state. For several years, he chaired an American Library Association resource-sharing section. He is an accomplished scholar, with a rich research record in qualitative methodologies as applied to libraries as well as more generally.
David has also represented UT internationally. He participated in library exchange programs with Makerere University in Kampala, Uganda, and Southeast University in Nanjing, China, and served as a Visiting Scholar at the University of Tasmania in Australia.
Recent NewsMore News
- Plumb's Veterinary Drugs -Scheduled Maintenance on Wednesday, July 15
- UT Press Joins the University Libraries
- The Spring Semester Wasn’t All Sunshine. But Our Volunteer Spirit Helped Make it Brighter.
- National Endowment for the Arts Will Fund Wildfire Recovery Project
- ProQuest Ebook Central and LibCentral - down for maintenance June 27, 2020
- Steve Smith to Lead Fall Semester Planning; Holly Mercer Will Serve as Acting Dean
- Thank You, Dean’s Student Advisory Committee
Upcoming EventsMore Events
- Important: All events will be held virtually. Event details will be updated.
Virtual Book Club: Gaining New PerspectivesAug. 4 @ 4pm
First Day to Request a Mail-In Ballot for Presidential ElectionAug. 5 @ 12am
Syllabus Support DayAug. 5 @ 1pm